Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Full of Beans @ Straits Quay

Macaroons, originated from France have been a big hoo-ha recently. Since the introduction of the pastry to KL, people have been talking about it. And it is almost so rare that perhaps you can only get them at KL. However, i was lucky to have came across a blog mentioning the availability of macaroons in Penang and immediately i took the opportunity to try them out. 
If you're coming from the centre of Straits Quay, you will see Full of Beans at the left end of 1st floor (opposite Subway, next to Nyonya Breeze)

Full of Beans is a small shop and is uniquely furbished with comfy sofas and couch. They have their own coffee-making sets (traditional to electronic ones). You can sit by the counter if you want to take a closer look at how they blend your coffee. But i'd rather chill on those comfy cushions.


apparatus for coffee-making (reminds me of the science lab in my school)


There are more than 16 types of coffee freshly brewed from the category of beans; ranging from special blend priced at RM8.50 to Jamaican Blue Mountain priced at RM45 per cup. 
its menu

Alright, I must admit I am not a coffee addict neither do I know much about coffee, so I decided to go with the special blend since it is my first visit to be on the safe side instead of being so adventurous!
notice the unique spoon and brown sugar cubes

So, without much hesitation, I immediately asked them how many flavours of macaroons they have, and they only had 3; chocolate, lemon and berry. I have never been a big fan of lemon, so i ordered a piece of chocolate and berry each. I never researched how big macaroons should although i have always like to plan something before hand but this time, i just decided to let myself be surprised...Somehow, the surprise was in fact a little too "big", i was stunned to see 2 tiny little oreo-like pastry measuring with a diameter of about 2.5cm. 
don't you think they are too cute to be eaten? (RM2.50/ piece)

the pastry cracked immediately after my first bite, does this mean it is not good enough?

This is a very calming and relaxing place to chill out while doing some reading or net-surfing. They also sell books regarding coffee-blending, etc. By the way, i prefer the berry-flavored macaroon to the chocolate one because the chocolate is way too sweet! (p/s: macaroon is also spelt as macaron at times)

The waitress told me they used to serve cream puff and other pastries as well but they stopped. I guess patrons prefer to just drink coffee there. 

Where at?
3A-1-6, Straits Quay Marina Mall, Jalan Seri Tanjung Pinang 3, 10470 Tanjong Bungah, Penang.

No comments: