Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lao Fu Tze Bak Kut Teh

When I was a kid, getting to eat 'bak kut teh' or literally translated as "pork bone tea" is one of joyous moments. I don't know what's in it that makes me love it so much. However, just as much as most Chinese would love this dish, it is not that economical and some considered it not suitable for daily consumption especially in hot and humid weather like Malaysia. Probably that was one reason why I did not get to eat it so often when I was little.
This place was recommended by my father. It is a family business and mother does the main cooking. They also served drinks ranging from tea to coffee to soft drinks.

small but powerful stall with non-stop incoming patrons

 what you'll see right opposite of the stall

mix them (chopped garlic, chilli, soya sauce, thick soya sauce) together and you will get the best sauce ever for your bak kut teh

people like to eat bak kut teh with yam rice

favorite side dish with bak kut teh - fried dough (yao char kuih)

intestines and other innards

fatty meats and meatballs

The above meal cost us RM29 in total with a pot of tea. 
While I don't really fancy innards and fatty meats, the main reason why I love "bak kut teh" so much is because of the soup. The soup based is a result of pork ribs simmered in broth of herbs and spices which gives it a strong aroma and colour.

Where at?
Junction of Jalan Trem (along Jalan Air Itam)

No comments: